header1

 

header2

 

header3

 

header4

History of Carluke

Records show that the earliest inhabitants in Carluke, also known as Kirkstyle, were monks. A Roman road passed this way and a number of tower houses were built in the area.

It was chartered as a Royal Burgh in 1662 and by 1695 parish records report six families living in the area. In 1746 Bonnie Prince Charlie's army stopped off in Carluke during their retreat from Derby to feed and rest their horses.

By the 1800s the population had risen to 380 and the main industries were weaving and farming. The town exploded onto the map several years later with the building of the Glasgow to Carlisle trunk road and a train station.

Over the next two centuries Carluke became a prosperous town thanks to corn milling, cotton weaving, coal mining and the manufacture of bricks, glass, confectionery and jam.

Click here to read full article: History of Carluke

 

Kirkton House

Reputed to have been the oldest inhabited house in Lanarkshire, Kirkton House was demolished about 1961.

Click here to read full article: Kirkton House

 

Milton Lockhart House

In 1987 the remains of Milton Lockhart House were transported to Japan and re-erected at Takayama-murain the unma-Ken region of Japan. The new owners renamed the castle Lockheart Castle.

Click here to read full article: Milton Lockhart House

   

The 'Camp'

The camp was a group of long huts, like you see in war films or POW camps. Arranged in rows on the slight hill up to the right, at the end of Burn Road (now called Stormy Hill). They were on top of brick piers to level them and, during the war, housed RAF personnel based there.

Crashed aircraft were brought into the camp via a rail line which existed at that time from the Castlehill direction and serviceable parts were removed in a hangar for recycling. The hanger was a typical wartime aircraft hanger. It did not take on its later exterior (see pics) until well after the war when its use changed. Burn Road did not extend beyond Brown Street except for the entrance to the Camp and there were no houses on the left as you drove in from Airdrie Road, only a field. The hanger was demolished in March, 2008.

Click here to read full article: The 'Camp'

 

David Wilson 1915

David Wilson was a butcher with the Co-Operative, when war broke out David was called up, so had to leave his job. When he was demobbed he did not take his job back at the Co-Op, as this would have meant the man who had taken over from him would have been sacked. Instead he started up a fish mongers business in Law and went around the area with his motor.

Click here to read full article: David Wilson 1915